Saturday, September 20, 2008

No No.... YES YES!!!

I was there. I lived the No No 1st hand in Milwaukee (Wrigley North).

The morning of the game my friend(Let's call him Sean) said let's go. I said sure what the hell, it's Sunday night, but why not, I haven't been to a game in a while. I got kids and stuff now and don't get to many games anymore. The plan was to watch Da Bears game and Sean was going to pick me up afterwords. Da Bears game ends and I get a phone call... Sean was unable to go... family emergency. I was like what the f#$%. I still want to go, I'm all pumped up and itchin to go now. I'm also a very pre-punctional person and need to get there early, not only to watch BP, but to miss any traffic and ensure no roads are flooded, ect...

So, in a panic I start calling people and looking for a babysitter, so that I can go with my lovely wife (let's call her Jodi). Jodi wanted to go, but we have two kids at home and one is still nursing. The changes of her going with are pretty slim. I keep my feelers out there and got a hold of a work colleague and super big Cubs fan (we'll call him Keith). He was hesitant, cause he's so dedicated to work (it's sunday fricken night) I told him to get off his ass, I'm coming over to pick him up. He's said ok, but I gotta shower 1st. I told him I'll be there in 10-15 minutes.

I now have 10-15 minutes to print out the ticket, which have been forwarded to me from Sean and pick up Keith. My printer is wireless, but in a closet and not plugged in. I 1st get the printer out and plug it in. Then I poop. (laptop comes to the pooper with me). As I perform my civic doody, and keep pinping the printer, but it's not responding. (hang tight, all this poop talk is making me gotta poop)...

So, yah... I'm pooping, and taking a break from this blog post to check my fantasy sports... bbiab.

ahhhh much better. Not as clean as I would like, but I'll take a shower and be fine.

Where was I... yea, I was able to print out the tickets (this is the type of game where you had actual game ticket and not something from my ink jet). I pick up Keith and we drive to the park, with only a stop at Walgreens for cash and Mountain Dew.

We come around the bend of 894 and there it was, through the lightly rain dripped front window of the car we see the closed roof Miller Park. A sea of blue ripples over the the bridge into the waiting arms of Wrigley North. The ballpark that Zambrano wants to call home....

Side note.. I have been a Cubs fan my entire life and love Wrigley, but it's time to upgrade. When we win it all this year, and we will (damnit). We need a bigger, cleaner, and futuristic ballpark (in the same location). Mark Cuban needs to purchase this team from Sam Zell NOW!!

Back to the game. We enter the stadium and walk around the back side of the bleacher to get a peek of the the Cubs batting practice while we locate an optimal spot to score a ball. We find a sweet front row spot in the right field bleacher. Zambrano was hitting rockets over our head. Ramierz was showing us beautiful rainbows to the upper desk in left, while Fukadome couldn't hit it out of the infield... Angel Guzman, Jason Marquee, Mike Quade, Kerry Wood, Jeff Zsamarja, and a cast of Sept call ups were all shagging balls not more than 10 feet infront of us. At this time we we yelling and asking politely for balls, but they kept tossing them in the the ball boy in the center of the field. We were starting to get anxious, but they wouldn't acknowledge us (the fans). These guys get paid millions and they can't toss a couple 6 dollar balls to the fans?! What gives...

Ok back to the game, we migrate to our paid (not paid yet, I still owe Sean the cash) seats in section 207 to be amazed by the 99.9% Cub fan population. I saw 1 Astros hat while I was there. The entire lower desk was filled, and even the non-staffed upper deck was starting to fill up. The energy in the stadium strong, I'm getting goosebumps right now just thinking of it. From the 1st pitch on, there were rhythmic chats of Z Z Z Z Z Z Z. He was on fire, and did his best to keep his cool while us the 11th man told the Umps what we really thought about some of his irregular ball calls.

The 7th inning was the true test, if he could get Borne, Tejeda, and Berkman we knew that the No No was a true possibility. They went down in order, we were going nutz. The adrenaline was starting to kick in and the tingles didn't go away until the next morning.

The 8th and 9th innings were cake... There was one out of the next six batters that anyone knew. Hunter Pence.. Zambrano made him look silly. 1-2-3...... 1-2-3.... Then there was the last out of the game, there was no way Big Z was going to fail, he was so pumped and we were pumped up even more. It was a full count and 2 outs. Zambrano throws a splitter in the dirt and Soto lifts the ball high in the air as Big Z drops to his knees and points to his almighty.

I can't put the next 30 minutes into words, it was truly magical with endorphins in the air.

Go Cubs Go!

No comments: