Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kosuke Fukudome

The Cubs are reportedly pursuing Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome. He does look like a great fit on paper; to find a left-handed hitting corner outfielder who walked 69 times in 81 games is a dream for this team, which is so short on left handed hitting and patient hitters. At $30 million over 3 years, it is well worth it if Fukudome can hit for power and walk 100 times with a .300 average on top of those.

There's only one problem I can see; it's those 81 games! Why only 81? In late July, according to Japanesebaseball.com, he had "right elbow pain." He is a left handed hitter but that is his throwing arm. If it is not healhty, that could also affect his hitting too. I'm not trying to be a naysayer; I'm also not trying to be negative just to be negative (Jay Mariotti needs to feed his family. I will find my own niche.) but this is the sort of thing that has potential to go very very wrong. If he can't throw we can't use him at first. Nothing would be a good reason for benching Derrek Lee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fukudome would be a great name for where the Minnesota Twins currently play. (LOL) And, speaking of that, has anyone seen the plans for their new stadium? I like it.

Three-Finger Browning said...

Yes the spelling of his name is kind of funny; there is a town in Sweden called Fueckby that is petitioning to return to its old-time spelling of Fjukeby for the sake of its dignity in this English-speaking world...

As regards stadiums, I have not seen it. You're the stadiums guy around here... The Metrodome is one of a small number of other parks I've ever been to. I've seen the Hefty Bag with my own eyes. It's kind of like a high-school gym in there.