Sunday, December 16, 2007

So it was Zell's idea...

The plan for the state of Illinois' Illinois Sports Facilities Authority to purchase and renovate Wrigley Field was originated by Sam Zell, the real estate tycoon who is in negotiations to purchase all of the Tribune Company. It is sad that the newspaper business in America has declined to the point to where it ends up in Sam Zell's hands. Now, it will be parcelled out however brings the highest possible dollar returns for the businessman Zell. Perhaps it is poetic justice for a right-wing, conservative paper so far to the right that it has endorsed the Republican for every presidential election since 1876. Yes, poetic justice to end up like so many other corporations and workforces the Tribune cheerleaded the destruction of, for the pleasure of Wall Street.

But I digress - regarding this deal: I shouldn't have to remind you all how wary I am of this state's politicians becoming involved in the care and maintenance of a building I love. Since D-Rod is a real Cubs fan, he should think twice about this deal before Wrigley goes all Hired Truck on us when the contracts for the renovations are actually completed. Believe me, taxpayers, this will cost you.

I am also not fond of the plans; MORE skyboxes? The skyboxes have already ruined the view from certain seats. And naming rights? Join with me, Cub fans, and make sure that the hypothetical corporation gets very little from splashing their name on our beloved landmark. You know Len Kasper will have no trouble getting AON Center at Wrigley Field out of his mouth but I hope none of you ever use that name. (AON is just an example. Please no angry letters to them citing my page.) I'll concede that I can't come up with a good reason there cannot be a parking garage. I would sure love it if it was nowhere in my field of vision once inside the stadium, that's all.

I don't think the state's taxpayers need to contribute this money to the pockets of politically connected insiders. Remember how it goes with these kind of projects; $350 million is just the beginning number. The real taxpayers' bill will be twice as much. But for Zell, and the governor's cronies, a great source of profit. So why is Daley mad? Well, for one, Zell approached Blagojevich and not him. That said, he DOES have a point about the awful, awful CTA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! Thinking about Wrigley field with a corporate name attached is simply not something I am ready to face on a Monday morning. All we can do is hope that saner minds will prevail. This would be a great opportunity for a philanthropist or two to quietly step in behind the scenes and save Wrigley Field without demanding that their name be plastered on the park in 50-foot letters.

Philosophically speaking, though, I wonder if all of this turmoil isn't the price we pay for wanting the Cubs to be champs. We love the "lovable loser"/Bad News Bears image of the Cubs -- but we don't like the losing. Maybe we can't have our cake and eat it, too.

-- Andre for President

Three-Finger Browning said...

I think that just maybe the Cubs have enough fans and some of those fans have some serious cash. Isn't there anyone out there who grew up watching the Cubs, is now very rich, and doesn't want to plaster his name on the stadium? I'm betting there is. Whether or not he will come forward I don't know. Wasn't Mark Cuban in the mix? If only...